In 2017 there were an estimated 1.4 million burglaries in the U.S., with over 67% of all burglary...
How to Protect Your Home from Break-Ins Chicagoland Local and Family Owned
Safety and security for your home and family are important. But is your home an easy target for intruders without you even being aware of it? Burglars look for three basic things when choosing a home for a break-in: easy access, valuables worth stealing, and lack of proper home security.
What can you do to protect your home from break-ins? Chicago Home Security offers the following tips:
Make Access Difficult
- Check that all doors and windows have adequate locks. Install deadbolts and secure sliding doors with a metal rod or wooden dowel in the runner so the door can’t be opened easily.
- Over 40% of home break-ins occur without the use of force. Before leaving home lock all doors and windows including your garage. The average intruder wants to spend a minute or less trying to gain entry.
- Clear away overgrown shrubs from windows and entryways that provide hiding place. Consider planting thorny bushes like holly or roses underneath windows as an added deterrent.
- Do not leave a house key hidden outside your home. Give a spare key to a neighbor in case you lock yourself out.
Put valuables away and out of sight
- Don’t leave items of value like bikes or scooters unattended. Secure them in your garage or bring them in the house if necessary.
- Do a perimeter check of your home during the daytime. Check if valuables inside your home can be seen easily from the outside. Consider moving these items to a less noticeable location.
- Don’t leave empty TV or electronics boxes near your dumpster or trash storage. This is an indication to thieves that make the risk worthwhile.
Install a Professional Home Security System
Home security systems are known to be a deterrent against burglaries and break-ins. 90% of burglars will pass up a home with a security system and move on to another, unprotected home. But a system provided by Buffalo Grove Home Security also gives you the added comfort of knowing your home is being monitored 24/7 for fire, carbon monoxide leaks and medical emergencies.
Let us assess your current home security needs and get more information by contacting us using our convenient online contact form or by calling (847) 386-8838. You don’t have to spend another moment worrying about the safety of your loved ones and the security of your valuables.
By 2024, retail e-commerce sales will reach a whopping $476 billion in the U.S. alone. With this sweeping...
Security solutions for homes are more advanced and convenient to use than ever before. Over the last decade...